Wednesday, May 24, 2006

No New Comic!

But it is on the way! (promise)

Some of you have noticed that I am pruning the site a bit. Well, back when this comic was slow to load...it was being hosted by a friend...in his basement...literally. Yes it was slow but it was free and I had unlimited bandwidth. Now I'm paying my way... One positive side effect is that Vexxarr loads very quickly now. The negative side effect is that you guys are shooting through my bandwidth like gangbusters.

So who's at fault?

Me.

Yes, me. Because I didn't previously have bandwidth restrictions my original design was rather 'top heavy'. So what can I do? Well I can start by shrinking the file size of every element of this site. I sure as heck don't want you guys page loading Vexxarr any less often. The goal would be to rebuild a site which can be loaded three times as often at half the bandwidth. Scott Kurtz predicted this very trap - your online success could be your downfall.

So I've pruned for the moment all my 'excess reload areas' and I'll bring them all back online one at a time as I get a sense of where my bandwidth is leaking. In the mean time, expect three comics a week. At least one additional snarky comment from me and a totally new design this Summer (or winter for you dudes down under). If you miss being able to get my goat...why not EMAIL me. That link isn't up there for my health, you know!

So bare with me and I'll keep the comic moving along...on a shoestring...