Monday, December 19, 2005

The Greater Threat

Let's be clear here.

I own and shop Sony products all the time. I watch Sony movies (which I purchase on DVD despite some very dishonest tactics to encourage just this kind of behavior) and I use Sony products professionally...that is I did until recently. Yes, my Tivo-esque machine in my livingroom - little more than a PC with tuner capability - has been root hacked! The culprit? The CD Switchfoot published by Sony Music. What this means is that I cannot install other audio players (the fact that the DRM will prevent installation of iTunes 6 is well documented) and I have no control over who remotely can access my machine. In short, I have to reformat, scrub and reinstall Windows.

This is unquestionably Sony's fault.

The kicker? I don't OWN Switchfoot. My friend did. He placed it in the CD tray when I was away from the PC. The DRM scheme installed itself (without - by the way - the promised popup and EULA which Sony claims appears with the installation). So I have been hit by the Sony DRM virus and I didn't even buy a Sony Music CD. Worse still, because I don't own the CD, I can't even join the various class actions being levied for just this behavior.

Look, it's time we show the media industries that we too have a say in what is legal and illegal. We too can say how media is used and shared. The United States legal system at least is still a two way street. They can take actions, we can take actions. Legal ones.

What I suggest is simple and it will take very little time. First, read bout what is happening with this recent debacle. Second, find out how it has affected you. Third, contact both Sony and First 4 Internet and tell them how you feel. Do so in writing or call their corporate offices. Lastly, shop alternatives.

Sony makes a good product. Sony used to make a great product. It is a happy coincidence that right now, Sony has been thoroughly trumped in the HD television, DV video, HDV video and professional video markets. If you shop and feel that Sony is the only true solution for your needs, then I have no argument. You at least weighed your options. I insist, however that if you look, you will find that other manufacturers have done their homework and offer superior products to Sony in every product line.

Just make sure that you talk about how you feel. Make sure Sony hears you. If this isn't addressed now, the message will be that we accept this kind of behavior and that message will be to loud to shout down.

The Sony Corporation of America offices are located at 550 Madison Avenue, New York, NY 10022.