Wednesday, May 04, 2005

A Moment Of Silence

...for my Dell Dimension XPS D333 who passed peacefully in the night last Sunday. As the XPS D333 was my Windows 98 2nd Ed box and my Umax Vista S8 only runs with Windows 98, I find myself without a scanner for the moment. "The solution," you no doubt are saying to yourself "is to buy a new motherboard, AMD CPU and 512 megs of fresh ram to place in the old Dell case to resurrect my hard drives and scsi card." So that is exactly what I am doing. Why buy a cheap stripped down box that I could install my 98 2ed on when I can buy a dubious motherboard, play with an aging ATX power supply and try my hand with my first OEM Athlon CPU?

I mean honestly?

I will be happy if I can cram this Frankenstein into the old Dell case and have my original installation of 98 running at 1.8 Ghz. I've become so adept at reinstallation of OS's that I can get 2000 into a box with all patches, software, drivers and codecs in under four hours. How hard can 98 2ed be?

I'll let you know Friday.

And yes, Friday will be an other cut and paste strip as well. I'll try not to make it too obvious.
At least the writing is fresh...